Thursday, March 20, 2008

Happiness-What is it?

Well, what is your answer to that one? What is happiness? When I was younger I thought happiness was just a sappy capitalistic plot to numb the mind. Ha! I wasn't very interested in being happy. Or so I thought. Now that I am older and wiser, I can see that it is an essential part of the human condition. The word gets tossed around but have you given it any personal attention?

There is short term happiness like sex, drugs, rock and roll or screamo; shopping, a car or a better job. After a while you start to notice the short termness of these kinds of things, however. And some of those things have nasty side effects.Not that they don't have their place. But as far as offering real and solid refuge from the bumpy road of life, they don't cut it. At least that's what I think.

I'd love to hear what others think about happiness. Here is what the Dalai Lama says about it.

“I believe that the very purpose of our life is to seek happiness. That is clear. Whether one believes in religion or not, whether one believes in this religion or that religion, we all are seeking something better in life. So, I think the very motion of our life is towards happiness.” Dalai Lama

It's tough to know what specific changes can bring more happiness. The following self test can enable you to pinpoint what areas of your life may be adding to or detracting from your sense of happiness.


You can go to this site to take the Happiness Self Test. The questions themselves will get you thinking about what consitutes happiness.

stress.about.com/od/selfknowledgeselftests/a/happy.htm

No comments: